Thursday, September 3, 2009

Books I'm Reading - Volume 1

Most writers are voracious readers. I am a schizophrenic reader. At any given time I'm probably reading seven to ten books and have a slew of others I think about and 'intend' to read. While I'm not sure exactly what that means for me as a writer, I do know that makes me a bad reader.

With that said, what am I reading right now?

Frank Herbert's Dune.


(Old fashioned hardcovers were awesome)
This is my second attempt at reading Dune. The amount of vocabulary the story forces you to learn overwhelmed me my first try but now I'm into it and I'm really starting to enjoy it.

Cormac McCarthy's 'Blood Meridian'

I can't think of an author that has more style than McCarthy. So far I've read No Country For Old Men and The Road and his voice comes through crystal clear in each one. He's really an astounding author. Blood Meridian reads like poetry and is visually stunning.

Those are the two big ones. Here's the list of other books I've recently finished, started, or am currently in the middle of.
Rebel Hearts by Kevin Toolis (research)
Anathem by Neal Stephenson
Kinky by Denise Duhamel (school)
A Dash of Style by Noah Lukeman (school)
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
Lords of the Sea by John R. Hale
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (I know, I know! I haven't read it before, sue me. There's no real reason why I haven't. Harry Potter may be one of the greatest book series to have ever been released, but even then it's a needle in a haystack compared to all the rest of the great sci-fi and fantasy out there)

This list is relatively light, too, but no doubt that will change soon as more fiction grabs my eye. I do work in a bookstore, to the peril of my dwindling bank account.

That's all, see you later.
-Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment